You’re a music producer and want to make a living off it? This blog article will help you find a way to make money as a music producer in 2019. We know the daily struggle of new artists and producers who just starting out their careers. If you are one of them this blog post is just FOR YOU!
In this post we’re going to show you the top strategies that work in 2019, and are already in use by top leading artists and music producers. Make sure to read every step to get the most value as possible from this article.
Here are 5 ways to make money as a music producer:
1. Offer production services online
This is probably one of the best ways to make money as an independet music producer. Sell services and skills such as:
• sound design
There are so many artists out there who need help with music production, post-production, audio editing, etc. Also there are many other people who need help such as ad creators, youtubers or other artists.
Tv commericals need cool background music, Youtubers need cool sound effects for their videos..
How to get your first gig? Here are some ideas on how to start selling your services:
• Sign up for freelancer marketplaces such as Fiverr, Upwork or SoundBette. SoudBetter is a marketplace specifically created for music/audio gigs. Here are some links for you:
• Grow your social media channels and let people know about the services you’re selling. A person who is following your maybe meet someone looking for a skill you offer and will be able to recommend you. Spread your skills with the world.
2. Make money producing beats. Sell beats online
Offering products such as beats, loops and samples are a greats source of income. You create them once, then sell them over and over again. Digital products like this are your biggest asset.
How to actually sell your beats?
First of all you need beats. Go through what you’ve already created and pick your best ones. Or start producing new beats. You’ll need a huge portfolio so artists can choose their favorite.
- Set up your online beat store. The easiest (and cheapest) way to do that is by using the ecommerce paltform Sellfy. It’s really easy to set up and customize + you can emed products to any website.
There are other platforms such as Beatstart and Airbit but their free versions may require you to share your profit.
Noir Sound is a group of producers who sell their drumkits and beats via Sellfy.
After setting up your online store your have to market your digital products. You can start promoting it on your social media channels to make sales. Here are some ideas how you can promote your products:
• Share it on your social media
• Share on forums and reddit groups
• Comment under relevant posts on social media
• Post as answer on quora
• Write a guest blog post that mentions your beat store
• If you have an email list, send out emails.
Pro tip: How to grow a huge email list?
Release your first drumkit for free. Use a platform such as tuneboost.net or pumpyoursound.com to create a “unlock-to-download” campaign. That way you’re giving away your drumkit for free. In return you’ll get the email adress from that user. You know that this user is highly interested in drumkits and samples so collect as many emails as possible and send out paid products a few days after collecting the email adress.
3. Create spotify playlists
This is a method which is pretty unknown at this time. I’ll explain how to set up spotify playlists which can be monetized to make a living from it. Yes, there’s some big money in there.
• Step 1: Create a spotify playlist for a specific niche such as Fitness motivation, Music for reading, Best uk rap, etc. Grow your playlists by using the exact same strategy as said in 2.
Use Download Gate providers such as tuneboost or pumpyoursound to create a “unlock-to-download” campaign for your playlists. Give away something really valuable for free such as a drumkit or beats. In return you let people follow your spotify playlist. You can easily get thousands of followers in a short period of time through that strategy.
• Sign up for Playlistpush.com ( a platform which pays you to review songs on spotify). This platform give playlist curators like you a way to monetize your playlist while dicovering new music. Link your spotify account on your dashboard at playlistpush to make your playlists visible for artists. Artists will contact you through playlistpush.com to get their songs reviewed by you. They’re hoping to get their song into one of the playlists you offer.
You can earn up to $12 per song review. Each time you place a song in your playlist you help artists gain new fans and grow their following. By actually placing them on your playlist you’re chances are high that they’ll order again.
To qualify as a curator you need to own a playlist with at least 400 followers on either Spotify, Deezer or Apple Music.
4. Teach people music production
If you already have the skills why not giving away your knowledge to smaller producers?
Share your knowledge with those who just starting out their careers. Today, education is a trillion dollar industry. Get on the grind and start offering e-learning products such as e-books or videos courses.
Either if you would like to produce a video tutorial / course or if you would like to write a pdf file with valuable information inside, you need to sell them online. The best and cheapest way to do that is by using the digital marketplace Sellfy. As said above it’s easy to set up and to customize.
5. License your music
This means that you register your music / audio. When it’s used by third parties like TV shows, Youtube Videos, Radio Shows or commercials you’ll get paid. Here are two ways for music licensing:
• Register your music with a PRO (Performance Rights Organisation. Make your music publicly available.
Here you can find more information about PRO’s. Click here
• License your music with music marketplaces or libraries.
Music libraries and marketplaces are places where other artists, marketers, filmmakers, performing
artists, etc. look for music to use in their work.
Some of the marketplaces that are already popular among music producers are:
Now it’s your turn. If you have any questions about any strategy written above feel free to send us an email to email@example.com. Hopefully this article helped you and gave you a few ideas on how to make money as a music producer in 2019.